Learning to be learners.

We have spent two weeks exploring what researchers have discovered about the brain and about what Prof. Carol Dweck has theorized about how we can grow our intelligence and realize our potential. And although every one of us can agree to growth mindset statements like “You can always substantially change how intelligent you are”,  I wonder if we can walk that talk.  I mean, to substantially change how intelligent I am, I have to do something, right?

And Professor Dweck makes it crystal clear that the thing I have to do is work hard and face setbacks head on.

Translation: Work hard means practicing and practicing means doing the work in class and independently; i.e. homework.

Translation: Facing setbacks means understanding that not getting it right away, revising, and redoing are all part of overcoming obstacles in our learning.

In the Mindset Survey we did in class, we all agreed that ” The harder you work at something, the better you will be at it.”

Let’s right now recognize that learning is hard. Maybe learning to learn is even harder. We need to do this together, because together we are better.

Here are some ways we might be able to support each other:

1. Be leaners. Go ahead and help out the person beside you. And go ahead and accept help when it comes your way.
  2. Be a homework buddy.
  3. Use email to ask questions.
  4. Comment on each other’s blogs–often.
  5. Bring our passions into the classroom.

Now it’s your turn. In the space below, add your responses, ideas, questions, suggestions:

How do we learn to be learners?

15 thoughts on “Learning to be learners.

1. I agree, learning how to learn is hard, its different, and confusing. But the more we help each other and do the work, we will get better. We can become good learners and we can expand our education.

2. Your point about being a learner is well made. First, it recognizes that the issue is complicated because we have to face setbacks and work hard. I think that practicing with homework is an important point because the more you practice, the better you will get at it. I would add that it does not hurt to ask for help to this conversation because you have to know what you’re doing, and even if you make a mistake, you still know what to do, but you can try even better at your work. This conversation has given me lots to think about.

3. Your point about how we can grow our intelligence is well made. First, it recognizes that the issue is complicated because learning is hard. I think that growing our intelligence is hard is an important point because we go through our whole lives until we die all the while still learning throughout. I would add nothing really to this conversation because well I don’t know what to add..
    This conversation has given me lots to think about

4. your point about learning is well made.First, it recognizes that the issue is complicated because learning can be difficult.I think that learning to be leaners is an important point because it helps students help each other. i would add maybe a few more steps to this conversation because to help students realize on how they can be more helpful to fellow students. This conversation has given me lots to think about

5. Your point about learning to be learners is well made. First, it recognizes that the issue is complicated because learning can be difficult for some people. I think that learning is an important point because learning has everything to do in school. I would add that many students have trouble with learning because of mental illnesses because it’s a big issue at Wasse-Abin High school. This conversation has given me lots to think about.

6. Your point about the idea that learning is a struggle is well made. First, it recognizes that the issue is complicated because people don’t like to learn new things for it is hard. I think that practicing is an important point because it is a good way to learn something, it isn’t fun, but it works. I would add a bigger explanation on homework because a lot of people don’t like homework, me included, and I would like to hear how it helps. This conversation has given me a lot to think about.

7. Your point that learning is well made. First, it recognizes that the issue is complicated. I think that learning is an important point because being a growth mindset learner always makes you a better person being one step ahead and helping other people out and boosting their confidence. I enjoyed reading your post. Good Job.

8. The point you made on learning to be learners is well thought out(and written). It recognizes that the issue is important because we come to school to learn, but we’ve never been taught how to be a learner. I think that learning to be learners is important to helping us reach our full potential as successful students.

9. i strongly agree that you can substantially change on how intelligent you are. In order to grow as a learner you must be willing to make the mistakes and learn from each and everyone, but you also must be willing to keep on practicing. Even after all the setbacks you had been through. I also agree that Learning can be hard or easier for some. This post gave me lots to think about.

10. Your point about Learning to Learn is well made. First, it recognizes that the issue is complicated because learning alone is tough, but learning to learn would be even harder. With all the setbacks and obstacles you may face on the way you may struggle. I think that “learning is hard” is an important point because it’s coming from a teacher. Usually, teachers would ignore that sort of thing and tell us to do this and that without us having full knowledge and understanding of it. And we do need help sometimes. We may not always ask for it. I would not add anything to this conversation because I’m sure that if I did, I’d probably ruin the post. Plus, I wouldn’t really know what to put in.

11. Your point about learning being hard is well made. First it recognizes that learning is important but its also very hard. I think that a lot of people think learning is all automatic, it is but you can teach yourself to learn in new ways. Being able to accept and embrace struggle is the key. This conversation has given me lot to think about.

• Ah, struggle. Most of us don’t want others to watch us struggle, but if we can figure out how to allow our thinking to become visible for others to see/here/witness, we will discover the upside to that struggle–collaboration, collective thinking, and connection. I have discovered that this combination is pure joy.